Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog.
I'll be voicing my thoughts and opinions on the creative process as well as other random topics that enter my mind. I can't promise to be entertaining or informative, but if you like genre fiction, movies, TV or comics then there should be something to interest you.
Any errors and foul language are my own.


Tuesday 9 April 2013

H is for Haiku

Haiku poems date from 9th century Japan, containing three lines with a 5-7-5 syllable structure. They often comment on the deeper contradictions of life, but I doubt mine will be so meaningful, as it's about Doctor Who.

TARDIS console halts
Time Lord beckons Companion
Adventure waits here

I doubt I'm setting the poetry world on fire with that one, or this next.

Church bells ring their call
Faithful meet on this Sunday
Love in hearts shines forth

Lord Byron's got nothing to worry about, I'm sure, but I quite enjoyed doing those. I wrote in a previous post about omitting needless words, but with this form of poetry, it's all about choosing the right words in the first place. Reading those over, the words 'church' and 'forth' sound right, but part of me wants to think they could be broken down into two syllables, which defies the Haiku form. Nah, I'll stick with it - that's the first big decision of today made!





No comments:

Post a Comment